Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lashing Derby Girls

Some of my friends that play derby started requesting lashes for their games...another way for me to keep loving derby and being there in spirit! This photo is of a gnarly player I have yet to see on the track, Pamdemic #911 from the Bavarian Barbarians of Kimberley, BC, part of the East Kootenay Roller Derby League. My lashes are over the mountain range in downtown Invermere, BC at the Black Star Studio
, a wonderful gallery owned by her sister!



So, some of you might know me as Jen; just regular Jen Cookson. More of you probably refer to me as "Cookie," aka Cookie Hoops, my hoop name. There are a number of things the hoop world and, interestingly, the derby world, have in common.
One of them is the names. You have to have a name to represents who you are, and it can be anything, as long as no one else is using that name. Both the hoopers and the derby world have a "name registry" to prevent the duplicating of names.
When I went out for derby practice last year to try it out, I thought I'd be on a team for sure. Turns out a few health issues made that dream die an early death. At first I was a sad flower.... However, getting back into my roller skates reaffirmed how much I loved it, and Roller Hoop was born. I had my first Roller Hoop performance for a half time show at the very first derby scrimmage in Kaslo this Spring! Uber exciting!! The Sugar Skull costume came out again...it is awesome to skate in. It was hand painted by local painter and tattoo artist, Avrell Fox. I think I need one of her hand painted helmets, too!


Photo credit: Eye of the Mind Photography

A quote from Pandemic's sister, "every derby girl should have them!" .....I could lash derby girls from now until eternity! Yes, it's true! I love them all! See you at the games!


Photo credit: Eye Of the Mind Photography









No comments:

Post a Comment