Thursday, December 20, 2012

Jenny Hill, Imagination, Hoop Dance and Feather Lashes!

The latest lovely lady getting lashed at Lashes for the Masses is the fabulous Jenny Hill... "The eclectic professional life of Jennifer Hill: published poet and essayist, memoirist, arts educator, hoop instructor, and performer." from her blog, Acts of Jennius Eclectic is kind of an understatement, as you will see...
Cookie: "Tell us about Jenny Hill, the child performer...what was your dream/secret passion in life at age 7?"
Jenny Hill: "I had many dreams and secret (and not-so-secret) passions when I was seven. I still do! When I was seven, I thought I could cure cancer. I didn’t have any idea how, but I kept a notebook about it. My room was my sanctuary space for testing out ideas. I sang into my tape recorder, danced to the crackly songs that came out of a radio that once belonged to my grandfather, and transformed my room into a beauty salon/restaurant/television show (I was the host, of course). I wrote stories in my closet, and spent a lot of time outdoors poking sticks into streams and bouncing on fallen trees. I never hula hooped as a kid (that I remember), but I did do an interpretive dance to the 70s song “Dreamweaver.” I’d like to revisit now as an adult. That might be my next video. Beware."

Cookie: "Yes! We have seen some of your very intriguing videos, and please do let us know when a modern "Dreamweaver" interpretation is ready for the world to see! I'll be the first to watch! Tell us how the hoola hoop found you, and where did that lead you next??"
Jenny Hill: "My big sister introduced me to the hoop about four years ago, when I got married. She brought a hoop making kit with her from Tokyo, and we decorated hoops and took them out into my backyard to play. I couldn’t do it at first, but when Kristen told me to close my eyes, I started to get the hang of it. Where did that lead me next? Whoa! I discovered that my body wasn’t merely a vehicle to move my brain around. I had a body that could do things that were bordering on elegant, complex, mysterious, sensual, and ridiculous. My body wanted to speak! All those years that I said, “I can’t dance,” were erased by the hoop. My sister gave me a huge gift the day she shared her love of hooping with me."

Cookie: "I see grace, fitness, beauty, and some seriously mad hoop skills happening, (and fire hooping, too!!) all the while staying focused on your writing. This is an incredible combination of talents! You are currently teaching poetry to children! What are children teaching you in your work with them?"
Jenny Hill: "Children have no filters. They say what is on their minds, they are genuine, they are brave, funny, and imaginative. They remind me every time I am with them that I was once a kid, and can remain one, if I stay genuine, brave, funny, and continue to use my imagination."

Jenny with her daughter, Helen

Cookie: "It is truly amazing to read about your projects with kids, and all the creative ways you come up with to show them the fascinating world of the imagination! Now back to your life as a performer.....What are your favourite occasions to wear your lashes and how do they tie into your life as an artist and performer?"
Jenny Hill: "I think what you love becomes your life, so everything I love (writing, performing, hooping, making art, teaching children, helping people write their memoirs) is connected. I wear my lashes as often as I can. For burlesque they are expected, for some photo shoots, for hoop performances. I think my favorite places to wear my lashes are for events with kids because of what they say. “How come your eyelashes are all different colors like that?” That gives me the opportunity to reply with something like, “Gee, I don’t know. I guess they just grew that way.” Kids notice and appreciate the little things, and I like to encourage wonder. I have decided after answering this question that I will wear my lashes to the next poetry reading I give. People don’t expect rainbow lashes on a poet. Maybe they should."

Jenny's cat, Stevie, performing in his favourite boa!

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more from Jenny Hill in the near future, as she has been teaching burlesque hoop dance in Canada! For now, thanks for joining us, and have a wonderful New Year and remember to lash and be lashed with those you Love! 
                                                    
                                                                         xoxo Cookie

www.facebook.com/ActsOfJenniusHoopiness

No comments:

Post a Comment